Matchday Memories: On This Day 1974 – Chelsea & Sky Blues Share Six At Stamford Bridge
Source: Ccfpa

On this very wet day (13th November) in 1974 the Sky Blues, under the management of CCFPA member Gordon Milne and smarting from a 3-1 drubbing at Leeds United a few days earlier, embarked on a trip down to south London for a clash with Chelsea under their new boss Ron Suart.

They had also lost by the same score (3-1) at home to Chelsea the previous August with David Cross getting our consolation after the visitors were three goals to the good. On this day, in the return, the rain was lashing down producing Stamford Bridge's lowest gate of the season so far (11,048) and the pitch quickly became a quagmire. There were mistakes galore on both sides so it was no surprise a high scoring game ensued. The two sides ended up fighting out a 3-3 draw!

Garland scores for Chelsea

The Sky Blues drew first blood after only four minutes when David Cross scored with a header. The Pensioners replied to take the lead with two goals before half-time. The first came from Bill Garner on 27 minutes and the second from Chris Garland after forty minutes. There was still time, however, for the Sky Blues to sneak an equaliser before the break as John Craven lashed one in from 25 yards a minute before the half-time whistle.

John Craven in the Sky Blue

The second half looked deadlocked until the Blues' Charlie Cooke got the best goal of the game on the hour, spotting Sky Blue 'keeper Bill Glazier off his line to score.

Tom Hutchison in Action

The Sky Blues came back one more time to share the points as Tommy Hutchison gratefully accepted a Colin Stein pass six minutes from the final whistle to put one past Peter Bonetti.

Honours even then, and the Sky Blues travelled home wet but satisfied.

Milne's men that day were:-

Bill Glazier, Graham Oakey (sub. Alan Green), Chris Cattlin, Dennis Mortimer, John Craven*, Peter Hindley*, Jim Holmes, Willie Carr, Colin Stein, David Cross and Tommy Hutchison.

Apart from the defensive pair of John and Peter (both sadly since deceased) all members of the Sky Blues team that day later went on to join CCFPA. Most of the remaining match details are provided in the graphic below. The referee was Mr. R.Challis.

The Sky Blues ended the season in reasonable comfort finishing in fourteenth position in League One on 39 points.

Chelsea were one of the three relegated teams in 1974-75 finishing 21st with 33 points (equal to also relegated Luton Town). Carlisle United went down bottom with 29 points.

CCFC 1974-75

It was Derby County's turn to win the Division One title finishing two points ahead of both challengers, Liverpool and Ipswich Town.

Thanks to CCFPA's Mike Young (& Dean Nelson) for sourcing the images and graphic. Share Post